Generating PDF from Form Templates

The powerful Form Templates can be a challenge sometimes. Ask the Guru about form templates.

Moderator: infoRouter Guru

Jerry Marcontel

Generating PDF from Form Templates

Post by Jerry Marcontel » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:38 pm

I love the form templates. I have been able to create a few templates by looking at the existing templates. I can't however figure out how the PDF is being generated. Can you explain?

infoRouter Guru

Re: Generating PDF from Form Templates

Post by infoRouter Guru » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:20 am

Jerry,

I could go on all day about this but the following document does a better job explaining everything you need to know.

https://www.inforouter.com/Downloads/V8 ... de-V80.pdf

Hope this helps.

The Guru

feemac

Post by feemac » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 am

I have examined an existing HTML form in my company's Form Templates folder within infoRouter and have compared it to the instructions written in the "Form Template Administrator's Guide" and have the following questions...

The guide doesn't mention what action to take in the opening form tag, i.e. <form name="input" action="*" method="post">.
The existing form I compared this with calls for: action="IRDOC.ASPX".
My first question is either "what's an IRDOC.ASPX?", or "Is this the action I call for?" or "What do I call for?"

The Guide mentions that I have to create a meta tag <meta name="render-with" content="/Form Templates/***.pdf"/>, the existing HTML form I compared this with has no "rendering" meta tags, so I am not too sure how, when or if to use this meta tag. Am I right to assume that I do use this meta tag and that is belongs within the header section of the HTML?

Also, I have created my own "[Form Template]" folder to use for testing the forms I am to create, however the form I have uploaded to my personal Form Template folder doesn't appear in the list when I select "Document from template" within the "New" menu. What would the reason for this be, and how do I get this to work?

stumpy

Post by stumpy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:49 pm

I can help with this.

include <meta name="render-with" content="/library name/[form templates]/name of pdf document.pdf" /> in the header

You don't need anything in the action = "*" for <form name="input" action="*" method="post">

On each table row where you want information entered, make sure your Id="" and name="" the same has what your field names are on the pdf document. for example <input class="input01" type="text" id="CertTitle" name="CertTitle" size="16" />

Also, make sure that the html and pdf document exist in the [form templates] folder

Sakwa

Post by Sakwa » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:38 am

This is an old post but I think it is very important.

What the instruction from the form Template Manager does not show clearly is that you need to create the pdf template with fields identical to the ones you want rendered from the HTML template than use the metadata taga referencing the name of the pdf template.

There are several ways of creating empty pdf templated but my best tool is Adode Livecycle Designer. I am using version 8.2 at the moment but i am sure there are other pdf creation tools out there.

On a side note, I am examining the posibility of having dynamic html-pdf rendering so that for instance if my template were to generate a form letter on a company letterhead, the signature field would move down automatically to cater for varying lenght of the letter body.

Right now the form letter will have a fixed signature position.

Return to “infoRouter Form Templates”