Security inheritance on cut and paste

General questions and answers about infoRouter EDMS

Moderator: infoRouter Guru

sjm

Security inheritance on cut and paste

Post by sjm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:37 pm

I have a folder which is secured to me. It allows me to work on procedural documents in my own time. When the documents are complete, I cut and paste them into the general library for all users to view. On moving, the document retains its security, which is only accessible by me. I would prefer the document inherits the security of the folder it is pasted to, thereby giving all members of that library access to the document. Presently I am having to alter the document security prior to moving, if I forget then no-one can search and find the document. Is it possible to have the document inherit security of the target folder?

infoRouter Guru

Re: Security inheritance on cut and paste

Post by infoRouter Guru » Wed May 12, 2010 4:11 am

Hello,

This is a hot issue and will be addressed in the very near future. However, it is not as simply as you describe it.

Consider the case:
You create a document and work on the security adding a bunch of users and groups with exceptions and so on.
The you decide it is time to push it out to a public area.
If we were to forget the entire security settings and inherit the target folder's security, you would be just as upset.

Here are a few ideas to consider:
1) Prompt the user upon the cut/paste operation to either carry over the security or to inherit target folder security.
This is great if the move operation is performed from the web interface but what happens if the move was done from WebDAV?

2) Create a new setting/Rule in the folder properties to force security inheritance.
This would be a folder rule that essentially says "Every document and folder moved or created under me has to inherit my security settings"
Great idea ha? Well this has problems too. Think about it!

In short, there is no ONE solution that is the magic bullet. Each idea has it exceptions and problems.

Any ideas? We'd love to hear from you.

The Guru.

Return to “General Questions & Issues About infoRouter EDMS”