Converting to infoRouter

General questions and answers about infoRouter EDMS

Moderator: infoRouter Guru

kevinm

Converting to infoRouter

Post by kevinm » Mon May 31, 2010 10:35 am

Hello everyone, I am a new user to infoRouter and have set up a test server and am trying to wrap my head around how to convert day to day tasks to the infoRouter way of managing documents.

I don't really want to reinvent the wheel, I'm sure that you all have similar tasks that need to get completed and have already devised ways to get around them.

I'll start with an example - the purchase order. We are a small to medium sized organization with ~ 25 staff that would need to create/approved/order items for our operation.

In our current system, we have a custom database that I'd like to migrate from to infoRouter. A staff member creates a purchase order, their manager approves it, and finance assigns a sequential purchase order number to it if everything is in order and it gets ordered.

It on the surface appears to be a simple thing, but the implementation isn't.
- How do you assign a unique tracking number to a purchase order document?
- Since this is a purchase order, we (in our existing system) assign the line items to come out of different accounts so that we can make sure that there is money available to purchase it in the first place
- there's no way automatically check to see if there is money available in an account to cover the cost without someone manually checking before hand.

Has anyone used iR for purchase orders, how did you do it?

I could do it in iR, but it would replace our mostly automatic system with a lot of manual checks and duplicated work, and that's what I am trying to avoid with document management heh.

I realize I could do something with a lot of custom programming, I am wondering how (or if) you can do it without resorting to writing code.

Maybe I'm making this more complicated then it needs to be? We use AccPac for our accounting system, we have GL, AP, and AR modules.

Thanks,
Kevin

infoRouter Guru

Re: Converting to infoRouter

Post by infoRouter Guru » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:41 am

Hello Kevinm,

The level of integration you wish to achieve may not be possible without serious coding involved.
Most customers have done something like the following:

The PO gets entered into an accounting package.
The PO information is exported out of the accounting package.
The information is picked up by infoRouter and a PDF is created and stored in an infoRouter library.
Because infoRouter allows for custom data to be created and tracked, the PO amount, PO number, Approval Date etc can all be imported along side the PO.

In effect, infoRouter would act a medium for users who wish to quickly find and track their POs.

If the PO needs to be routed for approval, that can be accomplished through infoRouter workflows easily.
Once the PO is approved, all approved PO information can be submitted to a program from within infoRouter so that the purchasing people can go ahead with they need to do.

I hope all this makes sense.

The Guru.

Return to “General Questions & Issues About infoRouter EDMS”