Local Users

General questions and answers about infoRouter EDMS

Moderator: infoRouter Guru

ab4ok

Local Users

Post by ab4ok » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:00 pm

I created a library and created a local user in that library. I want that user account, when logged in, to only search & retrieve documents within that library, no others. However, when I log in as that user and perform a search it returns documents from anonymous libraries, too.

Is this supposed to work this way? If so, how do I restrict the local user to just one library?

infoRouter Guru

Re: Local Users

Post by infoRouter Guru » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Hello,

Local Users are restricted to the library in which they created in everything they do. However, when a local user navigates to infoRouter he does not have to actually log in and can still see Anonymous Libraries and even run search queries within anonymous libraries.

So when he is actually logged in, we specifically do NOT suppress search results from Anonymous libraries. That would be weird if we did, no?
Why suppress something he can actually see when not logged in?

So that is the story behind why this works the way it does.

I hope this makes sense.

The Guru

ab4ok

Post by ab4ok » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi,

It's not that I want to keep a local user from accessing anonymous libraries per se, it's just that I'm looking for a way to return a "cleaner" search result without the user having to click on Advanced Search. For example, we have the non-member search for various employee forms, procedures, and training info. Members can search through libraries based on permissions + anonymous libraries. However, I wanted to create a specific portal for an IT Knowledge Base where one can use a local user id for that library and only retrieve documents from that library. Ideally I'd like to make searching easier for non-technical users (i.e.- not having to instruct users to click on advanced search and try to fill in the right combination of parameters to return just the documents in a single library).

The only solution I can think of is to do away with anonymous libraries & non-member searches. Unless there's another way?

infoRouter Guru

Post by infoRouter Guru » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:50 am

Hello,

Search will always include results from the Anonymous libraries. This is exactly why "anonymous libraries" were invented.

If I were you, I would do the following:
  • Create a global user group called "Internal Users" and include all internal users into this group.
    Make the user group "Internal" a member to the currently anonymous libraries.
    Make the anonymous libraries NOT anonymous.
This way, all internal users would still have access to the content and the content coming from the anonymous libraries would be suppressed for external users.

The Guru

Return to “General Questions & Issues About infoRouter EDMS”