Rejection of document

Everything you need to know about infoRouter Workflow. How to create and manage workflows.

Moderator: infoRouter Guru

parthives

Rejection of document

Post by parthives » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:49 am

Currently in the workflow the document moved from step to step based on tasks completion or approval that have been defined and the same should be made available when the user rejects the document as well. So when a workflow is designed module should give an option of a document moving from A to B and from B to C if approved and C to A if rejected rather than ending the workflow once a document has been rejected.

infoRouter Guru

Re: Rejection of document

Post by infoRouter Guru » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:51 am

Hello Parthives,

By design, the "Reject" event ends a workflow. If you do not wish the workflow to end, you should simply collect comments and make the Approve/Rejection decison at the very last step.

As for conditionally passing the document to different steps in the workflow, this is a planned feature.

I hope this helps.

The Guru

J2

Post by J2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:51 am

No. Nope. Uh uh. Disagree with the Guru. Is there a penalty for that? :) Here is the sitrep:
We usually have to send documents to all reviewers in one step, otherwise, the process may stop with the second reviewer, second step (sit on his\her desk) for an uacceptable length of time. Comment is not approval. Won't do. If fact, some of our project managers would like to be able to gray-out the comment box to prevent some reviewers from approving and, in the comments, stating that they disapprove, thus being able to ride the fence. Now, we know who the usual reviewers are. They are most often execs. When I send a multiple-reviewer, one-step approve/reject task in v.7.5, one of the reviewers, say the second guy to look at the doc, rejects it. NOW, look what happens. InfoRouter has notified several VPs that they are supposed to review this document, but because one reticent, stick-in-the-mud has had the audacity to reject it, THE REVIEW TASK JUST DISAPPEARS! Next thing I know, I have an irritated VP on the phone telling me he would be glad to review the document, but he has NO task with which to do that.
Here's the fix: Tasks don't disappear until ALL in the step have voted. If one of the reviewers in that step rejects, the buck stops there ... no second step. Now what do we have? Happy vice presidents! They get to complete their tasks, regardless. They get to click the View menu (those who can find it) and see their own names and their own votes beside their names. They get to claim the high ground because they rejected the thing, and infoRouter's Workflow History is there to prove it!

infoRouter Guru

Post by infoRouter Guru » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Ahah! Finally, a good fist fight at the forum!
I guess I am being out-voted here. Believe it or not, I Love it! No penalties. No hard feelings.

Let me defend the position some more and see what happens:

We assume that when one reviewer rejects the document, this actually means something and that we would be simply wasting other reviewer's time if we let the process continue. If we allow say, 3 other execs to review the document (after the first reject vote has been given) would this not be a total waste of their time?
Especially when we knew 3 reviewers ago that we were going to stop-the-buck.
All we would be doing is give 3 other execs to voice their opinion.

By the way, did you know that we send an email to the reviewers (the ones who have not yet voted) indicating that their task has been "Dropped"?

Still disagree with the Guru?

Come on guys and gals, join the fight! We're getting somewhere here.... :P

The Guru

infoRouter Guru

Post by infoRouter Guru » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:16 pm

An important follow-up note on the previous post:

Just recently, we added a feature called "Associated Task". This new feature allows a reviewer to create a task on the fly and wait for task to be completed.
If I were one of those execs, instead of rejecting the document, I would give the author (or someone) to correct the problem by assigning them a task with good instructions on what needs to be done if the document is to be approved.

The reviewer would then have an opportunity to review the document once more to see if the requested changes have been delivered/completed.

The reviewer will still reserve the right to either reject the document or create yet another "associated task". How cool is that? :mrgreen:

The Guru.

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:56 am

I just started working on & learning infoRouter workflow and it brought me here. I'd like to stir this fire a bit, even though it was from way back in January. I'm also very pleased to see a disagreement in a forum that didn't degrade into a flame war. That's really cool!

First, let me say that adding & assigning a new task is fantastic! It gets us 70%-80% of the way home, but there is a situation that it won't resolve for us. In the real-life workflow that I am trying to create in infoRouter there are half a dozen steps or so. Basically, each step will review the previous one and add more information to the document based on what was added before. Any reviewer, especially the final one, can send it back to any of the editors along the way for changes. Ideally, it should then go through the flow again from that point forward. New calculations, projections, scheduling, etc need to be done based on the information that was changed. A single new task won't handle that, or am I missing something?

As I said, I'm new to creating these in infoRouter, so any creative problem solving tips are appreciated!

Thanks,
-Dave

infoRouter Guru

Post by infoRouter Guru » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:37 pm

After this upcoming release due out in January or so 2012, we plan to work on a specific release dedicated solely on workflow.
We will concentrate on these capabilities in the first quarter of 2012.

DaveZ

Post by DaveZ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:27 am

Sweet! :D
Thank you!
-Dave

gegrillo

Post by gegrillo » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 am

Hi forum, I will appreciate if somebody can tell me if the "conditionally passing" feature was already implemented in version 8?

Return to “infoRouter Workflow”