Gadget for a "Saved Search"?

infoRouter Portals, Gadgets and much more. Join the forum. Don't be a stranger.

Moderator: infoRouter Guru

ab4ok

Gadget for a "Saved Search"?

Post by ab4ok » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Hello.

Is there any way I can force a user to the confines of a saved search? The saved advanced search feature is good but it would be great if I could restrict and simplify the search process within a portal. If there's not an easy way to do this, is there a hard way? :D

infoRouter Guru

Re: Gadget for a "Saved Search"?

Post by infoRouter Guru » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately as of 8.1.155 there is no easy or hard way to do this.
The good news is that we have received similar requests and plan to do a major overhaul of the "saved search" and "custom search" features.
The plan is to be able to restrict certain user grouse to certain search screens etc. Any specific ideas are all welcome at this point.

The Guru

ab4ok

Re: Gadget for a "Saved Search"?

Post by ab4ok » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 am

That's good news, especially for those of us who aren't programmers yet want a little more functionality in the portal gadgets. As far as specific suggestions, I like the way an advanced search allows me to choose default values and restrict which fields the end user will see. But I would also like to further restrict the advanced search by a subset of Document Types.

But I don't want my user clicking around looking for the Advanced Search option, having to then choose the proper Advanced Search, etc. I'd like the user to: 1) Log in; 2) Upon login he sees his portal; 3) On his portal is the advanced search I defined for him, already displayed as if he already selected it (i.e.- an "Advanced Search Gadget"). He only needs to enter his search parameters. Here's an example of how/why this would help: I created an internal IT knowledge base library. Users have their own logins for more complex work in Inforouter but I have one login for this knowledge base use. I need to use a predefined advanced search to restrict the search to one library and I'd further like to restrict which document types they can select. Plus it needs to be super easy to use so they can get their answers with the least amount of difficulty. Otherwise, they won't use it and they'll just call IT anyway.

Return to “inforouter Portals”